Saturday 18 May 2013

Home wasn't built in a day (& neither was it's food)

A house is made of bricks and beams,
A home is made of love and dreams.


I am, and always will be, a home girl. As much as I've always wished to travel the world and see exotic places, taste strange foods and embrace exciting new cultures, I have always known exactly where my heart lies. I know a lot of people say this, but there really is no place like home!

I have also always known, or from since I can remember, that I have wanted to go to University. Although I wasn't sure where or to read what, I just always knew. Perhaps it was the drilling in of my grammar school education, or the exciting thought of being completely engrossed in studying something you love. But I think, well I know, that most of it is down to the love of my home. My mum has always taught me that I can do anything I want if I put my mind to it, and without her care, encouragement and love I wouldn't be at University, this I also know for sure.
 With my twin sister and Mum on our 18th


After much stress and studying I managed to achieve the grades I needed, and wanted, for University. The next big chapter of my life was about to begin, or so everyone kept telling me as they congratulated my equally happy sister and I. But despite all the excitement of being in a new city, meeting new people and a new life of my own, I felt a great sadness. The thought of leaving my mum, step Dad, siblings and the little town I grew up in for the big city of Liverpool was, quite frankly, terrifying. Despite all this, my mother was right (as always). I settled in, made new friends, and quite frankly I've had (possibly) the best year of my life. However, my home will always be wherever my family are.

 With my lovely sisters, Molly & Kitty. What a difference a few years makes!


Since coming to Uni I have discovered, for me, there is still nothing better than seeing your family after long times apart. After only a week at home for Easter, leaving for the final semester of the year was much harder than I'd anticipated. A day visit from my family was just what I needed during the dreaded revision period, and last Sunday I got just that.

After receiving a goodie bag from my Mum (take note: Lindt Chilli Chocolate may just be the best kept secret in confectionery), we headed out to explore Liverpool. The best thing about being a student in somewhere like Liverpool is the ability to show off the place you now study in, and all the wonderful exciting aspects of city life.

We scooted in and out of shops, my siblings very excited to be able to sample a few more shops than accustomed to in little Melton Mowbray! My mum and I lingered behind, catching up on everything. Next stop, LUNCH! 

We lunched at Jamie's Italian in Liverpool 1. After panicking that we were going to be late and miss our reservation, we were glad to be seated and got straight to pondering over the menu. The rustic restaurant looked like it had leaped straight out of Italy itself. The lovely waitress informed us of the specials, and my mind was made up when she described the fish special of the day. 
 A table full of food= smiles all round.
 The stuffed chilli peppers and Italian bread selection to start went down a treat.
 Whole baked sole with refreshing salad, a fiddly but fantastic fish dish.
Impressed by the shared starters of a bread selection and stuffed chilli peppers, we eagerly awaited the arrival of our main courses, and were not disappointed. The biggest recommendation goes to 'Jamie's Italian Burger' which was stacked high with steak, mozzarella and a number of tasty extras, and enjoyed immensely by my step dad and my siblings who had the children's mini version. Also, I know it sounds strange, but if you do visit the restaurant, take a trip to the toilets. They are wonderfully vintage which excited my mum and I a lot! 

So, after a wonderful day of shopping, lunching and sight seeing it was time to wave my family good-bye once more. And I felt happy in myself knowing that the next time I saw them would be for the long summer holidays, when I would finally get to have some of my mum's wonderful home cooking, because there really is nothing like fantastic food with your even more fantastic family.

Rosie
x